Adding Bitcoin to MetaMask can be a challenge because MetaMask only supports Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) tokens, and Bitcoin is not one of them. However, once you read how to add Bitcoin to MetaMask wallet guide, you’ll understand how to get an EVM-compatible BTC token and import it to MetaMask.
- Step by step to add WBTC to Metamask directly
- Step by step to add WBTC to MetaMask by using the BTC token address
- What Is Wrapped BTC (WBTC)
How to Add Bitcoin to MetaMask Wallet
Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency designed to operate only within Bitcoin-compatible decentralized applications (dApps) and protocols. MetaMask, on the other hand, is an EVM-compatible wallet designed to hold ERC-20, ERC-721, ERC-777, and ERC-1155 tokens. Therefore, by design, MetaMask cannot support Bitcoin.
However, to enable Bitcoin usage across the EVM network, the Bitcoin network has a stablecoin called Wrapped BTC (WBTC). Let’s explore a step-by-step list of instructions for adding WBTC to the MetaMask Wallet.
How to Add WBTC to MetaMask Wallet
There are two strategies you can use to add WBTC to MetaMask. The first involves directly adding the token, while the other uses the WBTC token address. You will need to set up your MetaMask web extension wallet before following the step-by-step instructions below.
How to Add WBTC to MetaMask Directly
- Click the MetaMask extension icon from your Chrome browser, enter your password, and open the MetaMask interface.
- On the MetaMask dashboard, ensure the Network icon at the top center of your screen is set to Ethereum mainnet. If not, click the dropdown arrow, choose Ethereum mainnet network, and click Add Network to complete the process.
- Scroll to the bottom of the MetaMask dashboard and click on the Import tokens hyperlink.
- Type WBTC on the search bar, select Wrapped BTC from the list of options that appears, and click Import to add WBTC tokens to your MetaMask wallet.
Using the wallet’s mobile applications, you can also use the steps described above to add WBTC to MetaMask. To use the apps, download and install the MetaMask app for IOS or Android and sign in, then proceed with all the steps from step 2 above.
How to Add WBTC to MetaMask Using BTC Contract Address
- Visit Coingecko’s WBTC page, navigate to the Info section on the right side, and look for a section written Contract.
- Click the copy icon next to this section to copy the WBTC token address to your clipboard.
- Return to your MetaMask wallet dashboard and ensure the network on the Network dropdown section is Ethereum mainnet.
- Click on the Import token hyperlink and select the Custom token section.
- Paste the token address you copied in the Token address field and click Import to complete the process.
What Is Wrapped BTC (WBTC)
WBTC is an ERC-20 stablecoin generated by the Binance blockchain to ensure EMV-compatible chains, dApps, and protocols can use Bitcoin. As a stablecoin, WBTC is pegged to Bitcoin in a 1:1 ratio.
You can use WBTC as a Bitcoin equivalent to access dApps, trade, and interact with the Ethereum ecosystem. Besides that, you can stake WBTC for stablecoin interest rates or use it for yield farming on leading liquidity pools.
MetaMask is incompatible with Bitcoin because the two run on different blockchain infrastructures. However, Bitcoin has a stablecoin called Wrapped BTC that allows Bitcoin holders to use their BTC on EVM-compatible networks and applications.
WBTC is a secure and lucrative token to hold with multiple use cases. This coin can do anything Bitcoin can, so there’s nothing to worry about when using WBTC instead of Bitcoin.
Add Bitcoin to MetaMask – FAQs
Does MetaMask support Bitcoin?
MetaMask does not directly support Bitcoin because the two run on different blockchain networks. MetaMask is an EVM-based application, while Bitcoin is a token on the Bitcoin blockchain. However, you can get Wrapped BTC, an ERC-20, Bitcoin-backed stablecoin, and add it to MetaMask.
Where can I get WBTC?
WBTC is a Bitcoin-backed stablecoin. This means you can buy it on any exchange that lists Bitcoin. Additionally, you can swap other crypto tokens in exchange for WBTC.
Is MetaMask only used for Ethereum?
MetaMask is not used only for Ethereum. However, it only supports EMV-compatible tokens. These are cryptocurrencies built to run on the Ethereum mainnet. If a coin is not EMV-compatible, you cannot store or send it to MetaMask.